Saturday, December 3, 2011

Easy Smoothie Packs Recipe

I've always loved smoothies, but could never quite figure out how to make them myself. Every time I tried it seemed like there would be ice chunks floating in it even after blending forever. Well now I've learned the secret (via pinterest, of course) and I wanted to share! It's so easy - I'm ashamed that I've never know this before!


My favorite kind of smoothie has always been strawberry banana, so I went to the store and bought frozen sliced strawberries, bananas, and vanilla yogurt (I would have gone with yoplait light, but I this big tub was a better deal). The big secret to a Smoothie King quality smoothie is freezing all of the ingredients before. You want your fruit to be pre frozen before you combine them so that they don't freeze together in the packs.


You can freeze the yogurt in ice cube trays, mini muffin trays, or cupcake trays. I only had cupcake trays on hand, so I scooped in a little over a tablespoon in each section. Next I chopped up the bananas and froze them on a cookie sheet. You can either buy your fruit already frozen or cut and freeze whatever you want to add to your smoothie.


Then you combine your ingredients into ziplock bags. If you let the yogurt sit out for a few minutes, they will pop right out of the cupcake trays with a spoon. I put in 2 yogurt cubes and around 6-8 pieces of each of the fruits. Then just pop them in the freezer until you're ready for a smoothie!


I'm always looking for quick and easy breakfast ideas. It seems like no matter how early I wake up, I'm always rushing when it's time to find breakfast. Since all of the ingredients were pre-frozen, they don't stick together making it super quick to blend. I added a little milk, honey, and splenda...and then ta da!


Cheap, healthy breakfast in under 3 minutes! :-)

1 comment: