Monday, December 26, 2011

Do It Yourself Photo Tiles

This year I really went on a do it yourself present kick. It all started with an idea I found on pinterest to create a photo tile. It seemed almost too easy to be true...and I was pretty surprised when it worked so well! Here's how to make one.

All you need are some 6x6 tiles flooring tiles from Lowes (they were only 44 cents a piece!), a photo, scrapbook paper, and glossy Mod Podge.


Once you have all of your supplies, cut your picture and scrapbook paper down to the size you would like. I borrowed the paper cutter from school and cut the picture down to 4x4. I decided to print a saying onto scrapbook paper (you can skip this step, but I thought it added a special touch). Then I cut the scrapbook paper down to size. I decided to go with 5.5 x 5.5 so some of the tile was still visible. After that comes the fun part - the mod podge!

Use a foam brush and add a layer of mod podge to the tile. Center the scrapbook paper and smooth it out. Let it dry for about 15 minutes (I decided not to wait on my first tile, and it made the edges bubble a little - I'm not very patient, but I learned that you kind of need to be with this). Once it's dry, add some mod podge on top of everything and center your picture. Let that layer dry for about 15 more minutes.


Once that's dry add another layer of mod podge. I decided only to go with only one thick coat since it's just to display in the house. Put it on a little stand and ta-da! A very cheap and easy present! I'm kind of in love with how it turned out.


After testing it out, I decided just one tile wasn't enough to give as Christmas presents. My next post will be able how to turn this idea into photo coasters :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment