Monday, December 13, 2010

Run, run, as fast as you can!

It's so easy to dwell on the negatives of life. Lately, I feel like I have been complaining about my job. My latest complaints have been along the lines of: my kids making me sick at LEAST once a month, the parents of my school acting crazy, and realizing that I have to make around 75 people happy with me per day (no joke! Between administration, coworkers, parents, and students I have to make way too many people happy in a given day).

As much as I gripe about my job, being a teacher is probably one of the most rewarding/creative jobs there is. Let me ask you this. Have you had a gingerbread man run away at work lately?


After I read the story of the Gingerbread Man, my class made cookie dough and wrote about how to make a gingerbread cookie. My kindergarteners baked small gingerbread men for them to take home and I made a big gingerbread man for all of us to share.


After the pan got back from the cafeteria, the one I made wasn’t on the pan. He ran away like in the story! We spent a good week looking for him – with sightings reported by the maintenance men, the cafeteria staff, and middle school teachers. He even left an after school announcement. And sent me a text message letting me know where he stayed for the weekend.

Gingerbread resort!
After a week of this, my kids were getting pretty concerned that he wasn’t coming back. I told them that maybe they should make a trap at home and bring it to school to catch him. THIS is what they came up with. A shoe box with double stick tape so he would stick to the bottom AND a box that had M&M buttons as bait and said "Welcome Gingie!"

He's back!! And so much fatter than before...

So cute. They were SO excited when he came back. I really do love my job!

1 comment: